What are the options to replace single missing tooth:
A single missing tooth having sound natural tooth on both sides can be replaced with:
- Dental Implant
- 3 unit Bridge: that requires the reduction of adjacent teeth.
- Partial denture: that need to be removed before going to sleep.
What are the advantages of a single-tooth implant over a bridge?
- A dental implant provides several advantages over other tooth replacement options as:
- look and function like a natural tooth,
- It would be more economical than 3 unit zirconia bridge.
- A dental implant replaces a single tooth without sacrificing the health of neighboring teeth. In bridge we need to reduce adjacent teeth for crowns.
- Because a dental implant will replace your tooth root, the bone is better preserved. With a bridge, some of the bone that previously surrounded the tooth begins to resorb (deteriorate). Dental implants integrate with your jawbone, helping to keep the bone healthy and intact.
- Gums can recede around a bridge, leaving a visible defect when the metal base or collar of the bridge becomes exposed.
- Resorbed bone beneath the bridge can lead to an unattractive smile.
- The cement holding the bridge in place can wash out, allowing bacteria to decay the teeth that anchor the bridge.
- In the long term, a single implant can be more esthetic and easier to keep clean than a bridge.
Kindly, feel free to discuss the option of replacing single missing tooth with dental implant.